Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Sushi at Home

After a month of no classes, vacation and a particularly hot summer in my third-floor kitchen, I was not feeling motivated to do any cooking. However, on Sunday, I was spurred on to make sushi at home. My friend Jack knew I'd taken a non-credit class last year at JWU. Neither of us felt quite confident enough to do it alone, but ineptitude loves company, I always say. After church we shopped at Reliable Market in Union Square. Some of the items were on the pricey side, but it was nice to go somewhere really close. Maybe a Super 88 or C Mart next time. We picked out rice, vinegars, seaweeds (khombu for flavoring and nori for wrapping), seasonings, rolling mats, vegetables, and of course the fish and roe. For fish, we chose tuna and salmon, along with flying fish roe. It took us, plus Annie G., two hours of reviewing my class notes, cooking the rice, and chopping vegetables and fish to be ready to roll! Sadly, I was only able to eat six rolls and a little sashimi that day. Fortunately we had plenty to make lunches for the next day. Now that I've got all the base ingredients and tools (except for a hangiri, if anyone is feeling spendy), I'll be doing it again soon. Your house this time?

The photos are listed below because we took a bunch and this way they have room to stretch out.