Monday, July 6, 2009

Southwestern Salad


As I was waiting for the two baking projects to cool, I whipped up a salad I've made a few times that was inspired by another E.B. At my request, Stephen took photos of my dinner. As a tip, I often use kitchen shears for chopping herbs to save time, especially in a salad which, by its casual nature, can handle a few extra stems.

Serves 8

1 head of Romaine lettuce, chopped
1 pint (2 cups) grape or cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup frozen or drained canned corn (thawed if frozen)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack or Cheddar cheese
Jalapeno Ranch Dressing, which can be blended with classic ranch if you find it too spicy (my usual brand is Litehouse)

Additional options: salsa, guacamole, sour cream, tortilla chips, grilled chicken breast, shrimp, steak

No comments: